Four People You'll Meet in Heaven

Of course every one should hate deliberate stereotyping, and psychologists would tell you so too. But with our diverse personalities, there exists The Temperament.
There are different groupings of temperaments, but the oldest, I think, is the one by Hippocrates some thousand years ago. According to, temperament is an "individual's tendency to react in a certain way throughout their life, forming an identifiable pattern." All temperaments have their strengths and weaknesses.

Cholerics (Bill Gates, George Patton) are the decisive go-getters. In most situations they would charge, take control and send people around. If there was anarchy, cholerics would volunteer to be government.
Sanguines (Bill Clinton, Madonna) are for people, for pleasing them and for making them laugh. Even if some sanguines are not exactly comedic, they lighten up every situation with anecdotes and one-liners. Rather than heeding distress, sanguines would be de-stressed.
(Sylvia Plath, Isaac Newton) are good workers, as in good. Never mind their uncomplimentary label, melancholics are fond of organization and detail and thinking. What do you suppose Newton was doing under the tree if he weren't a melancholic?
And if you know anyone who's always NR -- no reaction -- that person's most likely a phlegmatic (Tim Duncan, Keanu Reeves). As in blank. Phlegmatics are kind and calm and slow to react. They will be the sole survivors in a cockroach invasion.

Of course there are combinations, creating dual-temperament persons. Usually a person has a dominant temperament then a secondary one. Like I'm sanguine phlegmatic - the most passive and easy going temperament anyone could ever have. Congratulations to me, I was born disorganized. But whenever I take a temperament test, I turn out to sanguine choleric, the most extraverted temperament. Recently I got 88% of me that's sanguine, the remaining 12% is choleric. Whatever I am, I guess I would never be melancholic. You know, order, detail, thinking a lot. Sheesh, I don't think so. But I can try.

In Lost terms, let's see who's who:
- Jack Shepard is duh, choleric. Duh? No one voted for him to be leader, but there he is bossing everyone around. Jack's ex-wife tells him, complaining, "You always have something to fix."
- Kate Austen is a choleric-melancholic. She's intense, driven in every opportunity while having tendency to be ruled by resentment. But she's self-sacrificing - also characteristic to a choleric-melan.
- James "Sawyer" Ford is choleric-phlegmatic. He takes charge but keeps his cool. He comes along every challenge and gets what he wants, and having phlegmatic tendencies, he's apathetic and could lie his way out of trouble.
- Ex-rock star Charlie Pace's more of the sanguine-choleric side. Look at how he takes charge to take care of that baby. He knows how to grab every opportunity to have fun like driving a Dharma car with Hurley, but he could also step up his game when needed. Like y know, killing an Other, with the If-you're-gonna-mess-with-us-we're-gonna-mess-with-you attitude.
- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes is definitely sanguine. He always wants to help, and always looks for fun. Didn't he find that makeshift golf course and Dharma car deep within the island, and even made use of them to party? He's affectionate and doesn't hold grudges, that no matter how much Sawyer makes him the butt of insults, Hurley greets him with a "I miss you, man" when he arrives and teaches him a lesson of leadership.
- John Locke, like Kate, is a choleric-melo. He struggles being with boss Jack 'cause he knows he could be boss too. And he's also a deep thinker. Remember when he spends hours and hours and days staring at the locked hatch, figuring out how to open it, and in the process he says thinking and staring is "working," like what Michelangelo did to make David. #